Sunday, September 25, 2016

Kekai's Rainbow Fish: Painting #3 & Pua's Little Birds: Painting #4

Kekai's Rainbow Fish 12"x18"
This little painting was a 3rd birthday present for my great grandson, Kekai. His name in Hawaiian means the sea, so I thought I'd paint something oceany.

Having 2 great grandchildren means when I do something for one it's usually good to do it for the other. Why? Well, I still remember when my sister and I were in school in California. It was the beginning of the school year, I was entering the second grade and Michele, my sister, was going into third. My grandma bought Michele a special present because she was now a third grader. I didn't get anything. I asked my grandma and she explained that when I was in third grade I would get a present, too. Okay, great, but then at the end of the school year we moved to Hawaii. I never got my special third grade present, a tube of Ipana toothpaste and a new toothbrush. Yes, I am that old. Is there anybody who even remembers Ipana toothpaste besides Norman my husband. How's about that catchy song "brush-a, brush-a, brush-a, with the new Ipana..." and that icon of good teeth their spokesperson(?) Bucky Beaver. Oh well, I got Hawaii!

Sorry, back to the point, I also painted a picture for Pua, Kekai's little sister.

Pua's Little Birds 12"x18"

I picked birds for Pua because she liked them and always pointed to them when they flew by. She was one year old at the time. It's been a few years since I painted these and the kids each have them hung in their rooms at their eye level. They love to touch them and show them off, which I think is so cool. Art should be accessible to kids.

I am going to visit them over Fall Break, in a few weeks, and am taking a bag of painting goodies so we can all paint together. Can't wait!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Art should to accessible to kids. Yes! And those paintings are filled with love and energy of Hawaii! I always receive good juju from your art and blog posts that makes me want to create!

Terry J Walker said...

Hi Zoi, thanks for checking it out. I can't find the email to your site and blog so I can sign up. Can you please resend?

Unknown said...

Lucky Kekai and Pua to have their own personalized paintings.

Terry J Walker said...

Lucky me to have them!